St Giles’s church in Oxford is commemorating the 18 men from the parish who died in the first world war. The church stands in the ‘V’ at the junction of the Banbury and Woodstock Roads but it was originally (1086) outside the built-up area of Oxford, in the parish of St Giles.
Information about each of the 18 men from the parish is displayed on the 100th anniversary of his death.
There is also a map showing where each of them lived,
where they died, and the place of burial or memorial.
It is a painstaking and sensitive piece of work.